Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Honey Whole Wheat Pizza and Fancy Blueberry Muffins

Yesterday I was feeling pretty motivated to make some tasty treats. Last week I perfected a recipe for Honey Whole Wheat Pizza dough and Miguel loved the pizza I made with it. So last night he was privileged enough to get pizza again. The recipe is easy and delicious and I should have take better pictures of the actual crust but oh well. I topped the crust with Spicy Italian Turkey Sausage, Green Peppers, Garlic, Onions, Artichoke Hearts and lots of cheese! Baked it at 400F for about 17minutes, on top of an upside-down cookie sheet on the lowest rack. Of course you could use a pizza stone, but unfortunately I am ill-equipped for that.




The Recipe:


Makes 1- 12" Pizza Crust


1 teaspoon honey

3/4 cup warm water (110 degrees)

1 1/2 teaspoon yeast

1 1/2 teaspoon olive oil

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup whole wheat flour

3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour


Dissolve honey in warm water. Sprinkle yeast over warm sugar water. When mixture is foamy (about 5-10 minutes) add the olive oil. In a mixing bowl, add the whole wheat flour, salt and 1/4 cup of the all-purpose. Stir in the yeast mixture until all the flour is moist. Add more all-purpose flour gradually until you have a ball of workable dough (not super sticky and holds together). Using the rest of the all-purpose flour, knead the dough ball with your hands until the flour is incorporated and you have a nice smooth/elastic dough.
Place dough in an oiled bowl (turn dough ball around so that all sides are oiled. Cover with a tea towel and place in a warm spot for about an hour or until doubled. Once dough is doubled, punch down and roll with hands into a tight ball. Place back in oiled bowl and recover for about 45 minuted or until doubled.
Roll dough into a circle on a lightly floured surface. The put the dough on something that can transfer the pizza to the oven (in my case, back of a cookie sheet). Top with sauce and your choice of toppings. Transfer to oven and bake until crust is golden brown (approx. 15 minutes)

Enjoy!


Now, I also experimented with some Blueberry-Cream Cheese-Lemon Curd Muffins which I will not post the recipe because it needs work. But this was a nice way to use up some frozen blueberries and leftover lemon curd. They sure tasted yummy and sadly I picked a muffin with hardly any blueberries for the picture. Whoops. If you are interested in my general idea/recipe then let me know and I will gladly share! My friend Rick was over right after these came out of the oven and said they were 'Interesting and delicious'!












No comments: