Monday, February 2, 2009

Roast Chicken and Loaf of Bread

I should have written this blog last Wednesday but better late than never....

I made an awesomely delectable roast chicken on Tuesday last week. The poultry was flavored with a mixture of olive oil, garlic cloves, lemon zest, cracked peppers, rosemary, thyme and salt. Simple and yummy. I mixed everything together and let it sit for about an hour to infuse the flavors together, then I peeled back the skin of the chicken breast and seasoned away. Here is the chicky pre-bake....
I cook the bird breast down for most of the bake time, then I flip it at the end for about 20 minutes to get a little golden.



She was stuffed with half a lemon, some garlic, carrots and celery. A beautiful and cheap eat. (This little beauty was on sale for $.88/lb and came to about $4 for a 4.5 lb bird).

Also on Tuesday I had my first successful attempt at a loaf of bread!!! Yeah! I did a simple white sandwich bread so I could make stuffing on Wednesday (with the stock I made from the bones of the cheapo chick).






Stuffing turned out great, too. I packed in a bunch of veggies and made a meal out of it. Another bit of inexpensive and tasty grub ;) All in all, I think this birdy gave Mig and I eats for at least 6 meals and 1 meal for Joey, Miguel's cousin, who came over unexpectedly on that Tuesday. Thank god I was making a feast anyway!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These recipes have been a life saver! Tomorrow, I am going to try the chicken. Me being broke = needed other dietary solutions besides eating out every meal. Being broke sucks so hard. We'll get through this. We will look back someday and tell our grand kids that we survived the big Recession of '08-'09.

love you, lady. You amaze me.