Monday, April 6, 2009

Firsts

After a wild weekend and a couple funny dreams, my mind has wondered to the thought of a person's firsts. You know, their first words, first steps, first dance, first kiss, first love, etc. Well, I was reminded that just because we have a few more years under us, doesn't mean the firsts have to stop. For instance, on Friday night in the freezing rain, a car load of friends and I decided to do a 'fire drill' at a stop sign. Some may remember doing these at stop lights in high school: the driver abruptly stops and each passenger must leave their spot in search of a new seat (a musical chairs sort of game). You can tell that age and wisdom has caught up a bit though, for we didn't think it was safe to do at a stop light, so we decided a stop sign in a neighborhood would be equally as fun and much less dangerous. This little incident was the first for us all, and maniacal laughter ensued afterward. Good times.

I also spent a few hours yesterday engulfed in art. I have been thinking a lot about my wedding (another thing full of firsts; my first save-the-dates, my first engagement, my first wedding dress, etc). In thinking of the nuptials, I was inspired to test my skills as an artist and try drawing a sugar skull; our wedding is Dia de los Muertos themed, more on this in a later post. Anyway, after what I believe to be a great first try at drawing this colorful guy, I feel amazing. The point to all of this could be summed up as, never stop trying new things. Never stop having fun and pushing yourself to discover new areas of wonderment. If you don't try, you will never know what you're capable of! So enjoy each moment and never forget to appreciate all your firsts!






1 comment:

MiG said...

As a member of the fire drill over the weekend, I can that is was a first and what an adrenaline rush!

I love the sugar skull drawing ; it is amazing and beautiful. I believe Cindy is a phenomenal artist. You rock, Boo!